Welcome to my blog about things I love to collect, refinishing furniture and decorating using flea market finds (with a few crochet projects now and then).Thanks so much for visiting!




Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Planting a winter veggie garden!!!

Planting in February...what???
Seeing as I have lived all my life in Minnesota where you can't plant until late May I just had to give this a try (here in Arizona). We started small for now and will see how it goes.

Mr. Wild put together a box for me out of scrap lumber that came with the house.
Sunday morning I hauled buckets of local dirt and then I mixed in 5 bags of black topsoil.


This morning I got out the miter saw and cut and screwed together a frame so that I can cover and shade the plants if need be...seeing as they are talking about a good chance of hitting 90 this Saturday (that's 54 days earlier than normal).
Or on the other hand, in case it turns cold like last winter when we had 4 to 5 inches of snow right about now.


Yesterday afternoon I planted the little seedlings. 
I planned to start everything from seed but then I realized I should have started them indoors in early January. Since the nurseries are getting in the little plants now I figured why not go for it plus I should have planted this about a week ago.

I put a cherry tomato in a pot so that I can haul it back to Minnesota with me.


I have lettuce and spinach and the single plant closet is cilantro.


Then here are the snap pea transplants and right in front of them I planted sweet pea seeds, on the other side of them is a row of snap pea seeds, then a row of carrot seeds and a short row of catnip seeds for the cat. I wanted to try some seeds too and see how that works out.

It's crowded but I expect to be picking lettuce and spinach faster than it can keep up...we'll see how it goes.

Thank goodness there is a nice fenced in area that came with the house. It's also critter and snake proof...well, almost snake proof, one got in last year but it was a good snake, not a rattler.



I couldn't resist a Parry Penstemon plant, they are Arizona wildflowers and are one of my favorites.

I've always had a garden on some sort, ever since I can remember I've been planting things. I worked in a nursery for 10 years but I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd ever be planting a garden in February!


Thanks for stopping by!

Linking to;



6 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous! I get tired of winter right around January and itch to plant something. It must be in our DNA somewhere to want to get our hands in the dirt.your garden looks very nice and healthy. Is that a pic of the penstemon? It is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to be gardening! You know I'm sure not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh to be planting a garden this time of year! I live in northern Michigan, so same as Minnesota. Gardens go in late May. I may start some seeds inside soon though. Good luck with all your plants! Thank you for sharing it at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great weekend! ~Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh to be planting a garden this time of year! I live in northern Michigan, so same as Minnesota. Gardens go in late May. I may start some seeds inside soon though. Good luck with all your plants! Thank you for sharing it at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great weekend! ~Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...that's early!!!


    Love Thea ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love hearing from you!