Welcome to my blog about things I love to collect, refinishing furniture and decorating using flea market finds (with a few crochet projects now and then).Thanks so much for visiting!




Thursday, April 4, 2013

Sneak peek, starting to decorate our 'Desert Oasis'

Okay, Desert Oasis is sort of lame but what can I call it!
We are in desert ranch country (there are still a few ranches remaining and real cowboys) but this is not a ranch, there are a lot of quails and the house is on a high hill. The land falls straight down on 3 sides, there are fantastic views up Rincon Creek and Rincon Peak. I thought about Quail Hill or Quail Ridge. Nothing seems to hit me right.

But anyway....

 I finally took a few pictures of what I've done so far with our Arizona winter retreat.
Our unplanned and unexpected deal on a house we purchased last December and arrived on Christmas Eve! 

For those of you not familiar, my goal is to decorate on a flea market budget, no single item can cost more than $100...and preferably a whole LOT less!


This was an inspiration from a page in a recent decorating magazine.


I love this very old framed print that I found here in a Tucson antique mall.
Of course there's glare from the bright light outside.






And on another old chest of drawers I have a little bit of lace and rhinestones which I'll probably rearrange as time goes on.


I spotted this oil painting (painted in 1965) at the same antique mall, I finally had to go back and purchase it because I couldn't get it out of my head. I love the colors and the frame.






And below is my little Heywood Wakefield Wicker Taboret that I picked up at the local flea market for a steal of $20!
The framed flower prints were $5 each and a red leather French book for $1.
It still needs work but I place a few things here and there and eventually it falls into place.
I'll hang the prints above the table but I can't decide if I should paint the frames white or leave them the way they are, they are in excellent condition so I sort of hate to paint them.

I think I have way too many decisions to make!


On the down side of this house...almost all the walls are orange peel! No way am I going to try to remove it but it sort of cracks me up because when we built our home in MN in 1989 I fought tooth and nail to NOT have orange peel textured walls because that was the ONLY thing they did back then...all the 'men' thought I was crazy but I won! And now look....a whole house full of orange peel! Eeeek!

I plan to post more if I can get a little more accomplished, I only have a few weeks until it's time to drive back to Minnesota.
The next venture will be the Wyoming bunkhouse....my summer project!

Linking to;





11 comments:

  1. Looks like you're off to a good start! I like your budget idea. Very smart! Good luck!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Faye!
    LOVE the lily of the valley picture!!! One of my favorite flowers! It's coming together!!
    How about "Quail Hill Cottage"?
    I'm sure you will find the right name!
    Let's try to get together when you get back to MN!
    Warmly,
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my....what some lovelies! That print with the lily of the valley flowers is my favorite! Do you happen to know the name of it? I will have to keep an eye out for one like it! Everything is coming together so nicely...:)

    Blessings, Vicky
    Life On Willie Mae Lane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I'm pinning several of your lovely vignettes!

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such lovely goodies, Faye...love the roses painting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh- How exciting, Faye. It looks so nice what you have done so far. Love it. I'll bet you are having a ball! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely beautiful! Love the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely items...great vignette. Lucky you...love those temps...wish I was there to shop with you...great finds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful !!,...enjoy the weekend darling.....love Ria...xxx..

    ReplyDelete
  10. What pretty vignettes! I would have went back and bought that rose oil painting too! Love the wicker table! Gina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving all your vignettes Faye, you've put together such beauty!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love hearing from you!